a rarely updated repository for an inner voice that will occasionally and fleetingly force itself from my conscience

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Pearl


Just finished this novella by Steinbeck. A great quick read, there is a substantial amount of story packed into so few pages. What shall I read next? B Hurst I'm looking your direction: hopefully you'll see this before your foray into the tropical/arid pandemonium that is Kenya. If not I'll look at iRead on Facebook. The Brothers Karamazov has been sitting unread on my bookshelf for epochs, although it'd be a massive undertaking, maybe I should give it a go.

4 comments:

b.hurst said...

hmm... off the top of my head, some books i have enjoyed in the past couple years:

Gilead
Down and out in paris and london
a movable feast
the stranger
the letters of vincent van gogh

tristan said...

oh, i know it's going to sound very hipster of me, and maybe I just am one, one of the many who jump on band wagons. But i feel like if i jumped onto a book-reader's band wagon, it's not so bad. So that being said I recommend, On the Road - Jack Kerouac.
I really like it, you can borrow mine too. It's the urban out-fitters hipster edition (not really, but i bet they have it there.)

Tom Hughes said...

thanks for the recommendation! i read that one a little while ago. i liked it so much at first i wanted to be an alcoholic bum, but then i realized after a few beers that i didn't want to live that way anymore. i think he died of liver failure in his 50s or something...whoops.

tristan said...

sweet man.
i really like it too, and it also made me want to be an alcoholic bum, which i kind of am, except i have two jobs and i'm going to college, besides that i'm an alcoholic bum.

the guy

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
I'm a registered nurse, working at Long Beach Memorial. I enjoy my job very much, though it can be very stressful and difficult at times. In my free time, I read, throw frisbees, and try to score goals for my roller hockey team. I read every piece of information available that pertains to the LA Kings, I rip movies to my hard drive to watch them later, and I love Xbox live. I recently bought a new bike that I pedal around all the time; if you're ever in Long Beach look for me. I love drinking coffee and beer, occasionally to the point of excess, but I make it a point to always have fun.